Before scanning your slides and film negatives, here’s an easy DIY tip to clean it first
While Kodak’s Digital ICE, which is used for slide and negative scanning at ScanMyPhotos.com, does help remove unwanted dust and scratches, it is only designed to remove a moderate amount. If your film and slides are very dirty or dusty, it is in your best interest to clean them prior to sending them in to be scanned. Here are some recommended easy to achieve tips:
- Purchase a soft, anti-static cleaning cloth or microfiber cloth, like those used for cleaning lenses and gently clean each slide and negative.
- Gently wipe the film negative and slides from one side to the other.
- Careful. Watch for abrasive material, like sand, which should be gently blown off the negative before wiping with the dust cloth.
Before reading this report. An update. ScanMyPhotos.com professionally digitizes all your photos this fast.
While we have scanned six hundred million images, it is news stories like these that made us so popular, but no order is more precious or important than yours. We are here to help. For loads of photo tips, news updates, and crazy-discounted deals, sign up to receive free updates.
- Canned air is preferred. For 35mm mounted slides, remove the film from its plastic or cardboard casing before wiping to avoid just brushing dust to the edges of the slide.
- FOR ADVANCED USERS: Find an alcohol-based film cleaner and compressed photographic gas at a photography store or online.
- The film cleaner should have a neutral pH and not contain any water.
- Cotton pads can be purchased at any drugstore. Pour the film cleaner on a cotton pad and spread it on the negative. A light touch and a steady hand will help preserve your film and prevent scratching.
- Use the compressed gas to blow off cotton fibers and dry the film cleaner. The negative should now be free from non-water-based stains.
TAG: 35mm film scanner 35mm film scanners 35mm slides to digital images convert 35mm slides to digital convert 35mm slides to digital images convert negatives to digital convert slides to digital convert slides to DVD family history fathers day gifts Film scanners genealogy Negatives to Digital Old Photos to Digital Photo-Restoration professional slide scanners slide scanning service
Most Popular Posts
- How do you remove a photo stuck to glass? Here are some ideas.
- Why AMAZON PHOTOS is Better than Google Photos
- Photo Scanning and the 300 vs 600 DPI Myth
- Photofunia.com and Photo505.com are Two Recommended Services to Create More Ways to Share Your Photos
- Why PictureKeeper® Scored Our Top Tech Gadget
- What You Need to Know About Restoring Ripped Photos
- Thousands of Pictures Digitized For Under $300*
- What is the best way to clean 35mm slides and negatives?
- Photograph Preservation 101: How to Get Glue off of Photos
- Instructions For “Professional Pay Per Photo Scanning